Career Options in Interior Design
A certificate or associate degree in interior design can qualify you for an entry-level assistant position. A bachelor's degree can qualify you for a formal design apprenticeship program. After obtaining your interior design degree, you'll be eligible for an apprenticeship with a design or architecture firm to gain experience before taking a licensing exam.
- Number of interior designers in the U.S., 2006: 72,000
- Percentage who are self-employed: 26 percent
- Top employers:
- Architectural and landscape architectural services
- Residential building construction companies
- Furniture and home-furnishing stores.
- Projected job growth: 19% between 2006 and 2016
Bureau of Labor Statistics, Interior Designers